Monday, August 5, 2013

Hannah: The Faith to Cry Out - I Samuel 1

I Samuel 1:5, 10, 11, 17, 20, 27, 28
"But to Hannah, Elkanah would give a double portion, for he loved Hannah, although the Lord had closed her womb. ... And she was in bitterness of soul, and prayed to the Lord and wept in anguish. Then she made a vow and said, "O Lord of hosts, if You will indeed look on the affliction of Your maidservant and remember me, and not forget Your maidservant, but will give Your maidservant a male child, then I will give him to the Lord all the days of his life, and no razor shall come upon his head." ... Then Eli answered and said, "Go in peace, and the God of Israel grant your petition which you have asked of Him." ... So it came to pass in the process of time that Hannah conceived and bore a son, and called his name Samuel, saying, "Because I have asked for him from the Lord." ... For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition which I asked of Him. Therefore I also have lent him to the Lord; as long as he lives he shall be lent to the Lord." So they worshiped the Lord there."

----------------------------------

The passage today is from the sermon preached in our home church yesterday by our Pastor Janney.  This passage is very special to Kay and me as this was one of the passages we read and prayed over right after "Baby Rudy" was born.  Kay and I had decided that we would not name our first child until we could see her and then meditate over some verses and turn over our first decision about this new life to God.  So for the first 90 minutes of Hannah's life, she was known simply to the hospital staff as "Baby Rudy". The name Hannah means "God's grace or favor" and God sure has given us great grace and favor through her life so far.

The main message this morning was that if we have the faith to cry out to God in all situations, he will hear us and awesome things will happen. The five situations in this passage that Hannah cried out were when she was empty (physically barren and emotionally dry - v1-5), provoked (when she was ridiculed by Peninnah because the Lord has closed her womb - v6-11), judged (Hannah was accused of being drunk - v12-19), torn (Hannah had to give up Samuel to the Lord - v19-28; we also need to give up our children for adoption to the Lord), and blessed (Samuel grew in the Lord and Hannah had 3 more sons and 2 daughters - Chapter 2).

Just like Hannah's example, God wants us to cry out to him for all our needs.  And after Calvary, we now even have direct access to our savior Jesus to talk to. I have learned to cry out to Jesus in many of the situations above, especially as my kids have grown and experienced troubles and rough patches in their lives. I know through first hand experience that if we have the faith to cry out and depend solely on our Lord for deliverance through these times, that he will exceed our requests! I challenge you to cry out to Jesus today for those burdens you are carrying.
 
...and don't forget to love God with all your heart, love others as He does, and use every minute for His will and to His glory!  

"Cry Out To Jesus" - Third Day


Family Update:  The Rudys are still doing well.  I am traveling again on business this week to Dallas, and 3 locations in California.  I will be visiting 4 offices in 3 days so please pray for my safety and energy!  Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment