Monday, August 17, 2015

You Don't Need To Run To God - Luke‬ 15:11- 24‬

Luke‬ ‭15:11-24‬ ‭ESV‬‬
"And he said, "There was a man who had two sons. And the younger of them said to his father, 'Father, give me the share of property that is coming to me.' And he divided his property between them. Not many days later, the younger son gathered all he had and took a journey into a far country, and there he squandered his property in reckless living. And when he had spent everything, a severe famine arose in that country, and he began to be in need. So he went and hired himself out to one of the citizens of that country, who sent him into his fields to feed pigs. And he was longing to be fed with the pods that the pigs ate, and no one gave him anything. "But when he came to himself, he said, 'How many of my father's hired servants have more than enough bread, but I perish here with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Treat me as one of your hired servants."' And he arose and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. And the son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.' But the father said to his servants, 'Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet. And bring the fattened calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate. For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.' And they began to celebrate."
‭‭
--------

In my previous devotion about my mission trip to Punjab with Faith, I listed a few things that God taught and retaught me through this experience. One of the things he showed me was the power of story. We shared Bible stories in our revival meetings, as well as in the dozens of homes we visited, and these stories were such an effective method of reaching these people with the gospel.

Now I am sure many of us reading this devotion have heard these stories since our childhood and I think we take for granted their message and what it tells us about our God. But we have to remember 2 Tim 3:16 that "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness."  We cannot ignore any of scripture, as God has a message for us in every single word.

Well one of the stories that I shared in several homes in Punjab was the Parable of the Prodigal Son. The story is well-known to all of us and clearly displays God's infinite forgiveness.  No matter what we do in this life that may be counter to God's plan, He will always forgive us if we just turn, repent, and ask Him.  But one thing I find so powerful about this parable is that it demonstrates that we do not need to run and chase after God pleading for this forgiveness.  In the parable, when the father first saw the son far off in the distance, he immediately ran and embraced and kissed the son.  The son did not need to crawl back to the father and grovel at his feet for forgiveness.  In fact, the father treated the son like royalty by putting a robe, ring, and shoes on him and killing the fattened calf and throwing a party for him.  This son had just wasted away half of the father's wealth and now he was treating him like a King!  How much greater will the Lord's love for us be, when we repent and turn toward him!

So no matter what you have done, or no matter how far you have drifted away from God, know that if you just turn he will be right there next to you with open arms.  James 4:8 says "Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you".  This is a promise with a very simple condition - just turn toward Him.  The price has already been paid - while we were yet sinners, God sent his son to die for us (Romans 5:8).  I pray today that you would meditate on this scripture and that you would feel and truly know this amazing love that God has for us.

...and don't forget to love God with all your heart, love others as He does, and use every minute for His will and to His glory!



No comments:

Post a Comment