Thursday, March 21, 2013

Character of the New Man - Colossians 3:12-17

Colossians 3:12-17

"Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do. But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection. And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

----------------

The other night, I was feeling a little down and overwhelmed by the world. There is a lot going on in our lives right now that not only is draining us physically but emotionally too. The kids' lives are very full right now, Kay's doctor visits and procedures are never-ending (tho we are in a small gap this week), and my job is extremely consuming as of late. 

So I went into our prayer room, shut the door, closed the blinds and got on my knees with God. After a good amount of thankfulness and repentance, I spent some time crying out to God asking for his guidance and praying that I would rely on Him more. During this time I asked God for answers and direction and that He would speak to me that night. 

I then sat down, opened up my iPhone Bible app, closed my eyes and scrolled through the books of the Bible, then the chapters, and then the verses. Then I touched a part of the screen and opened my eyes.  My finger was resting on the section heading titled "Character of the New Man" in Colossians 3. 

I believe God is reminding me that I am a new creation in Him, that I don't need to be overly concerned about the things of this world, and that I need to learn to rely solely on him.  I plan to spend the next few days meditating on these verses and letting that message permeate and wash over my heart. I would challenge you to read over these verses slowly and hear for yourself the promises, admonitions, and commands that God has for us.  I would also pray that you come to a deep understanding that you are a much-loved child of God and that He is all you need. 

...and don't forget to love God with all your heart, love others as He does, and use every minute for His will and to His glory! 

No comments:

Post a Comment