Sunday, April 7, 2013

His Grace is Sufficient - II Corinthians 12:9

II Corinthians 12:9 
"And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

----------------------------------

Most people have heard the phrase "His grace is sufficient", but we need to go back a few verses in II Corinthians to get the context for this declaration from the Lord to Paul.  In verse 7 Paul talks about a "thorn in the flesh" that was given to him. We don't know exactly what this thorn is but Paul says he pleaded with the Lord three times for it to be taken away. But the response that Paul receives is that Christ's grace should be enough and that the power of Christ will be made perfect in Paul's weakness.   

When I was growing up I struggled with asthma and I still struggle from time to time even now.  In my twenties after I moved to Virginia, I was having an especially tough time and around then I found a great deal of comfort in this verse.  I prayed to God to take this thorn away from me, but He did not.  I realized though that because I grew up with asthma, that experience had given me a soft heart for the sick, a compassionate nature in general, and it also kept my pride in check.  Even today, I know that God places thorns around me so that I don't think too highly of myself, and I don't think I can do it all by myself without His guidance and strength.  I firmly believe He breaks me down sometimes so He can refine and build me back up in Him. 

I pray that things go well for all of you but we will all have our sicknesses and struggles in life. If you are sick, then my all means, ask God to heal you (we sure have been praying for Kay's healing).  He may do a miraculous healing in your life or he may have a truth to teach you about His grace. Whatever life's circumstances though, keep on recognizing God's work in you and continue to point others to His perfect strength!

...and don't forget to love God with all your heart, love others as He does, and use every minute for His will and to His glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment