Friday, April 5, 2013

The Lord is my Shepherd - Psalms 23:1-6


Psalms 23:1-6
"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever."

----------------------------------

The 23rd Psalm is probably the most well-known passage of the Old Testament.  How many of you memorized this chapter as a child?  How many of you still have it memorized today and are repeating it right now?  I think verse 1 is the most powerful and really says it all.  If you have the Lord, you have everything.  If you don't have the Lord you have nothing (of any value anyway).  Is the Lord truly your shepherd?  Does he guide your every path? 

The passage goes on to clearly demonstrate David's faithfulness to the Lord throughout his life.  It is a very confident hymn and progressively unveils David's personal relationship with the Lord.  David is lead by the Lord, the Lord walks with him through tough times, and the Lord provides comfort, sustenance, and everlasting mercy to David all his life.

Is Jesus your savior and are you part of His flock?  Do you trust Him as Lord to lead and sustain you through all life's triumphs and troubles?  If you answered "No" to the first question, then drop to your knees now and ask Jesus to come into you heart.  Just acknowledge your sinfulness, and recognize your need for a savior and then act.  If Jesus is already your savior, but you are no longer allowing him to be the complete Lord of your life, then ask Him to give you the strength to turn everything over to Him ("I can do all things through Christ, who gives me strength").

...and don't forget to love God with all your heart, love others as He does, and use every minute for His will and to His glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment